A Quarter Horse is generally used for Western events, as they are hardy for short-distance racing and farm work. They are usually found in the fields and riding. Another moment in which this type of specimen is used is when maneuvering cattle, an essential thing during cattle confinement events. Check out our online equine shop in the UK to gear up and be prepared.
How to prepare a quarter horse for a race
Concerning the temperament that Quarter Horses have, they are characterized by being docile and easy to handle, train and maintain. They are very stable and kind to their riders and caretakers. Another essential characteristic is that despite working over short distances, this breed has a lot of strength and speed.
To train this horse, specialists in the field are needed. In Western competitions, the fluidity of the horse's movements, the attention, and the response of the rider's commands are evaluated since the participants run a circuit where they must run, trot and gallop.
Among the things that must be taken into account to prepare this horse for a race are:
- You must be attentive to their personal care. This includes the state of their fur and hooves since it is one of the things that is most taken into account during competitions. Also, if your helmets are in good condition, you will be able to perform well. Shop and save at our online equine
- In the training space, place empty barrels separately to get used to the circuits that they will possibly put on during competitions. This type of circuit must have an opening and an end and must have a separation of 4.57 meters away.
- To practice dressage, perform a series of movements in a pre-established sequence. It should be noted that these are hours of training so that the horse and the rider fit perfectly.
- And most importantly, before any training, the horse must warm up at least two hours beforehand to avoid any injury.
6 curious facts about western saddles that you did not know
The Western discipline has developed over many years in the American continent, giving demonstrations of skill, leadership, and attitude. But do you know the importance of having a good saddle for these events? The harness is used to work on American ranches since it offered safety and comfort to the rider after long hours on horseback, and it was prevalent to see them in the old west. These seats had to be incredibly comfortable. Although they are mostly made of leather, experts say that this material can be a bit misleading and that the important thing is the grip that the rider has on the horse. Take advantage of discounts and great online equine offers.
We give you six facts about these saddles that you possibly did not know and that will further expand your vision regarding them:
- The Spanish adopted the reins of the Arab armies and the Middle Ages.
- From 700 until 1950, the western saddle continued to evolve enormously, incorporating new features in its design to favor working with cattle, thus increasing its resistance, durability, and comfort.
- The leather on their seats allowed cowboys more control when herding cattle.
- After the American Civil War, full double-rigged Texas saddles began to appear.
- Two more types of saddles evolved: the Texan and the Californian.
- The current western saddle is manufactured at least nine different ways: rodeo, resistance, trail, deep seat, to disassemble quickly.
Does your horse lose its appetite during competitions?
Those of us who compete with horses wonder how to care for racehorses and horses from other disciplines correctly since we want them to perform at the highest level during competitions. That's why some owners even consider supplying stimulants or energizers for racehorses.
How to take care of racehorses and other sports at the competition venue?
The horses are outside their usual location in the place where the competition is located. They compete in strange and unknown areas, surrounded by other horses also unknown. In addition, they have had to suffer many hours of travel in the truck or van to reach the equestrian center where they will finally complete.
All this generates enormous stress for them, which is why we must be primarily concerned with how to care for race and sport horses during competitions. One of the main symptoms of stress that we see in them is that they often stop eating for hours, they lose their appetite.
Learn all about racehorses and other sports
This lack of appetite can lead to the horse not being in optimal conditions to compete and recover during the competition. But there are many recommendations on caring for race and sport horses that we can help you with. If we get to know everything about racehorses, we can help them to be in top shape and develop their potential to the fullest.
Online equine provides you with information, so you know everything about horse racing and other sports.
- Walk the horse before feeding it, make sure it is calm, and favor the consumption of food.
- If possible, put it in a paddock with grass so that it will peck and be distracted.
- Take care of the race or sport horse by giving it some delicious food with alfalfa hay. The use of apples and carrots can also help whet your appetite and stimulate consumption. Also, Turkey with beet pulp flakes is suitable.
- We can resort to porridge. It is highly recommended to care for race and sports horses after the competition and promote their recovery.
- Cover the food with honey or molasses to improve the flavor and stimulate its consumption.
Give small amounts of food.
The use of stimulants and energizers for racehorses is sometimes considered the supply. However, this use of energizers and stimulants is discouraged for racehorses and other disciplines. We often do not know its composition, and we can supply our racehorse with energizers or stimulants that contain nutrients that it does not need or even chemicals that can harm its health.
An excellent daily diet is the healthiest basis for our horse to receive all the nutrients it needs and perform at its best. High-quality forage should be combined with a horse feed tailored to your needs. Depending on your discipline and physical condition, you can also add a supplement with vitamins or minerals. In addition, a good training routine must maintain the horse's health status must be monitored.
How to take care of racing and sports horses every day?
Although each horse is different, it must consume food and recovers every day to be in top shape and achieve maximum performance. It is vital that you know about your racehorse and takes care of it at best.
At online equine, we make sure that all our riders have the best equipment for equestrian events to have an excellent show for all fans of this discipline. In addition, we like to report on things that you may not have known.